~What I also do on campus~

Hi! This is Erika from Japan!

Besides ISAB, I am involved in three other groups on campus that represent my identity as an international student from Japan. It might sound a lot but the people I get to work with are super nice so I honestly like what I’m doing.

The first one is Japanese Student Association. I am in charge of organizing career events for Japanese students. Throughout the year, multiple Japanese companies come to UCSB offering career workshops or even job opportunities for Japanese students studying at UCSB. In order to organize those events, I reach out to the companies who are willing to come and communicate with them. It is fun to improve professional communication since Japanese language has unique honorific language or formal email styles that you normally wouldn’t use. I also learned a lot from organizing and promoting events by myself and how satisfying it is when the event goes well!!



The second one is International Student Association. I basically discuss with other officers what kind of events would be fun for international students. We have such a diverse and happy officer group, so I love working with them. You do not have to be an international student to join our events so definitely come meet us!

Thirdly, I work at CLAS as a Japanese tutor. I learn a lot from students who come for help since I get questions I never have thought about before. It is fun figuring out the best way to explain and finding easy ways to memorize the language. It is sometimes hard for me to explain a language in another language, but it is challenging me in a great way. Please come on over if you have any questions for Japanese or if you want to practice reading phrases or something!


Comments

Popular Posts