A Confession from a Graduating International Student



Prior to college, I have moved around a lot and transferred through different schools. So adjusting to new environments wasn’t much of a problem for me growing up. I am very lucky to have this perk of being an international student and not let the nerves of moving to new places get to me. But stepping into college for the first time as an international student, as well as a first-gen college student, I was beyond terrified. Moving into college by myself and being thousands of miles away from my family seems like the craziest idea to most. But The first 10 month at UCSB was the most candid, yet life changing, experience of my life. I have experienced so much—both highs and lows. I’ve celebrated successes, accepted failures, laughed till tears ran down my face, danced through some memorable nights, and experienced so many firsts. As a first-gen, I walked into college anticipating nothing and everything, confused about where I stand in this world and questioned who I want to be. To my surprise, UCSB became the place I began to find myself. Then, I couldn’t imagine spending my next three years anywhere else. It is throughout my freshman year at UCSB that I learned to be more comfortable to walk in my own skin, to embrace my culture and everything that shaped me. As an international student, and a Third Culture Kid, it’s hard for us to locate where home is, oftentimes it's less about the location but more the people and experience. This video is a symbol of my first year here on the West Coast, here at UCSB, a place I call home. But more importantly it is a symbol of growth. 


Now that I am a graduating fourth year, looking back at this video is definitely emotional. I’ve grown so much in the last three year. But what drives more tears for me is the fact that I will be leaving soon. I don’t think people realize how often international students come and go, and I’m going to be on the go again. It’s emotional to think about leaving the place I’ve learned to call home for the last four years...


Comments

Popular Posts