Thank You, ISAB!

 Haochen Long


Time truly flies. With graduation right around the corner for me, I often think about the inspiring journey I have had on this campus. Therefore, in this last testimonial that I am doing for the International Student Advisory Board, I wish to share with my fellow international students some of the most important takeaways from my past four years’ journey at UCSB.


The very first lesson UCSB taught me was to believe in myself. I still remember the day when I first got here after a 15 hours flight from China. I came to this campus alone, with only one suitcase and one backpack. It was so intimidating. Like many of my fellow international students, I experienced homesickness, imposter syndrome, and cultural shock like I never have before. To make things even more challenging, with English as my first language, I used to feel like my accent, my speech patterns, and the foreign “vibe” I gave off were a constant reminder that this campus is not where I belong and that I will never be able to become a leader here. However, the amazing mentors and friends I’ve met at UCSB have taught me not to let these self-doubts get into my way of pursuing my dreams. They have shown me that the international backgrounds and diversity we global gauchos bring are invaluable assets. Their support gave me the determination that someday I will be a leader and make positive changes for others around me. 



The second lesson UCSB taught me was to be ready to fail! After all, the challenging first steps we make toward achieving our educational goal in a foreign country do not always pay off. With a passion for making a leader out of myself and making my mark on this campus, I began shooting my shots in all types of campus involvements. Cultural clubs, professional organizations, fraternities, student governments, any kind of recruitment and elections, you name it, and I was there. And guess what happened all those times I tried? I lost and failed, over and over again. But it is also these countless times of rejections and failures that gave me the experiences and skills to eventually found and become the president of multiple sustainably growing organizations servicing hundreds of students on this campus today. Now, to be completely honest, I struggled so much and made so many mistakes in this process. But I never gave up. Looking back now, I have to thank these times of failure for instilling in me the determination and persistence that have shaped me into the leader I am today.


Now, the final lesson, and the most important one UCSB taught me is to give, which reminds me of a famous Chinese expression, 饮水思源, meaning “When one drinks water, one must not forget where it comes from.” It is a teaching that reminds people to be grateful to those who fought to make the present possible for us. So, I wanted to use my acquired leadership to give back to this campus, especially all the minority communities that have been my biggest cheerleaders on this journey. This passion inspired me to initiate programs dedicated to uplifting nontraditional students who identify as racial and sexual minorities, low-income, first-generation, or differently-abled. This aspiration for giving back to the Gaucho community also motivated me to become the UCSB Campus Leader and Student Ambassador in the UC Advocacy Network, where I felt an unprecedented sense of reward when my leadership contributed to advocating for educational equity for tens of thousands of my classmates. When I learned to give, I became a true leader and realized that the true value of leadership lies in our compassion and heart. 


Today, as I am near the end of my UCSB journey, I feel proud and honored that I have become a much more mature, capable, and well-rounded individual than I was four years ago. So, I want to take this one last moment to shout out to all of my fellow international students and leaders. It’s been a great honor to be your friend and classmate. I wish everyone the best of luck on your quest toward the next milestones in life.


Comments

Popular Posts