Defining my identity



Having been born in the US, raised in Dubai and surrounded by family members that live all around the world, the question of “where are you from?” doesn’t really have an easy answer. My answer always seems to differ where I am or the extent of the conversation. In the US I just tell people I’m from Dubai, mostly because they all seem to be from relatively close areas of California. Whereas when I’m in Dubai I tell people my ethnic background. My mom is half German and half Lebanese, having grown up in both countries, while my dad was born and raised in Pennsylvania. The fusion of American and Arab is something that pretty much sums up my identity. But really when I’m in the US I don’t feel American, just as when I’m in Lebanon I don’t feel fully Lebanese. Although Dubai is where I’ve spent most of my life, I know I’m not originally from there, I simply grew up there. So where am I from? What makes me, me?


Dubai is the epitome of a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities, it brings people together from all over the world. With 88% of the population being immigrants, leaving only roughly 12% to be local Emiratis, you run into people from just about every country (CIA Factbook). That means that practically every tradition is celebrated with open arms, allowing you to share special insight on how others practice and believe. Having an Arab state that encompasses this globalized dynamic is one of the many reasons I love Dubai. Arab culture is characterized by big, loud family dinners that go on for hours, leaving you absolutely stuffed, yet always more grateful for strong family bonds. Respect is also a core pillar of Arab culture, not only for your elders and respect of the family, but also through self-respect in terms of staying true to your own morals and identity. Lastly, hospitality never ceases in the Arab world, catering to everyone’s needs in the most selfless manner with the assumption that ‘what’s mine is yours’. You’ll never owe anyone anything because what friends and family give to you comes from their heart, whether that be a home cooked meal or any favor you could ask for. All of these aspects bring me so close to my Arab ties. I love the culture more than anything. Yet I’ve grown up with enough Western influence on my life to allow me to feel tied to American culture as well. The warm and family-centric festivities that bring people all over together brings me back to my priority on family and hospitality. These two cultures aside, I’ve grown up traveling the world, having family living in the UK, Lebanon, Spain, Germany, Finland and so on. Being exposed to so many cultures from traveling, as well as growing up in Dubai, it’s hard to pinpoint one that categorizes me because my identity is a mixture of the experiences I’ve gained throughout my life.

In an article titled “Being in-between: A Model of Cultural Identity Negotiation for Emerging Adult Immigrants.” By Cohen and Kassan, an idea called cultural identity negotiation is explored with respect to international individuals. Cultural identity negotiation can be seen as “a form of conscious, reflexive and evaluative self-understanding… to shared values and practices of a particular cultural group.”. In a time of emerging adulthood, it’s difficult to identify a sense of who you are as a person, especially when your culture isn’t clearly defined. For me, moving around and ultimately coming to the US, my own cultural identity was put into question because I couldn’t quite decipher which parts of my identity came from what cultural background. Although I recognized finding certain characteristics of the US odd to me, other aspects make me feel like I am perfectly at home. For international students especially this idea of “being in-between” can be a struggle to identify oneself because of the cultural differences we face in comparison to people whose homes are only a drive away. Thus, negotiation can be seen as a matter of what aspects of yourself you give up in exchange for new cultural norms or ideals. Personally, my morals and standpoints have remained exactly the same, still encouraged to be as selfless through means of consideration and hospitality, as well as working hard with the ultimate goal of giving back to my family what they gave to me. However, I definitely held biases towards American culture that took me a while to give up and finally begin to assimilate. While you may give parts of yourself up for new understandings, people around you are also taking in aspects of your culture, moving them to be more open-minded as well. I’ll forever be proud of the culture I come from, but I’m also proud to be building on my own cultural identity through learning from people I encounter on a daily basis. What makes me, me is not one answer, it’s the experiences, good and bad, that allows me to be in a constant state of learning and developing myself.

Sources:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ae.html
Cohen, Julie A., and Anusha Kassan. "Being in-between: A Model of Cultural Identity Negotiation for Emerging Adult Immigrants." Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 65, no. 2, 2018, pp. 133-154. ProQuest, https://search-proquest-com.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:9443/docview/2013887618?accountid=14522, doi:http://dx.doi.org.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:2048/10.1037/cou0000265.

Comments

Popular Posts