Reflections of a Student in Quarantine on College Life

 Hey everyone! This post is inspired by the fact that I left in person UCSB classes as a 19 year old sophomore and will most likely be back as a 21 year old senior. Today, I will be discussing the top 4 things that I learned were really helpful after joining UCSB. 


  1. Reach out to people before they reach out to you! 


This might seem pretty straightforward and obvious. However, it is easier said than done to some people. I personally am an introvert and the thought of going to college abroad was scary because I did not know what to expect and if I’d be able to meet friends. I saw this tip on Arlin Moore’s youtube channel where he discussed college advice. I believe that this tip really helped me get out of my comfort zone and use the little courage I have to meet people. Especially as a freshman, people are eager to make friends and socialize. You should definitely take advantage of that and talk to as many people you can from different cultures and backgrounds. I met my future housemate in Anacapa’s bathroom on my first night at UCSB. She was from a different country as mine and on spring break, she came to Brazil with me! I also met wonderful people in some of my classes, specifically sections and labs. I would reach out to them in the middle of the class and we would connect on our struggles. I also was lucky to meet some amazing people during internship recruiting for my major. I just remember feeling really nervous at the recruiter’s office hours and starting conversations with other student applicants. We kept in touch during quarantine and facetime from time to time, and I can't wait to meet them in person!


  1. Do not be scared or lazy to go to office hours!


This tip is one that I heard a lot prior to coming to UCSB, but I could never understand it until I personally had experienced it. As an international student, I found going to office hours very helpful especially during the pandemic. For instance, I took an Italian Cinema class offered completely online during the pandemic while I was living in Brazil. São Paulo, my city, is 5 hours ahead from California. Therefore, my final that was scheduled for 7pm to 10pm PST meant that I would have to take it 12am to 3am BRT. Fortunately, I went to the professor’s office hours and he allowed me to take the exam whenever I was free on the same day as the final. That was incredibly helpful. Going to his office hours allowed me to better understand the material and readings that were going to be used on the paper. I had difficulty understanding the readings. Another example of a great office hours experience was when I went to my accounting professor’s office hours. I needed to add a class that was taught by the same professor for the next quarter but I couldn't because it was already full. The professor was kind enough to increase the maximum spots available in the class, and I was able to add the class to my schedule. If I had not gone to office hours, I might not have been able to know that she was going to increase the spots and not have added that important class.


  1. It is normal to feel overwhelmed (especially in person)!


When I arrived at UCSB, coming from a different culture, I felt like everything was overwhelming. There were so many people, so many majors, so many kinds of classes, so many clubs and ways to get involved, and resources. It is okay to feel that way. Do not feel pressured to understand how everything works right when you get to campus. It takes a while to get used to it and no one expects you to know everything you're doing. I believe I still am not sure what I am doing at UCSB. However, the best part of my college experience so far has been discovering college life and all of its components little by little. Do not feel pressured to join every single organization out there. Try different ones and see which of them fit you the best. The process of figuring stuff out can be scary, tiring, and embarrassing at times. However, it can also be a beautiful and fun experience in which you’ll meet new people that are going through the same thing as you. If you feel overwhelmed, UCSB offers counseling and other resources.


  1. It can be helpful to stay connected with people from your culture as well as other cultures.


I remember not wanting to be close to other international students from my country when I entered UCSB. However, I found that keeping my mind open to all cultures was the best thing I could have done. I got very involved with the Brazilian Student Association (BRASA) and got really close to the sweetest individuals from UCSB. Having that support system that shared similar traditions and backgrounds has been important to my adaptation in the US. I could just hang out with them if I missed home and speaking Portuguese, and it would always be a fun time. I am not telling you that you should only hang out with people from your culture, but having a group of people close to you from your country nearby is pretty nice. 

Making friends from other countries is also very enriching.My friends were American from the Bay area, and they taught me some expressions and NorCal culture such as Patagonias, Birkenstocks, and Pete’s Coffee. My friend from China also introduced me to Chinese snacks and customs. I also attended a Persian party and an Armenian party and listened to their music for the first time. I just remember how much fun it was to learn how to dance to the Persian songs.Those are all experiences that will remain with me forever. Lastly, joining ISAB has been really insightful because it is so interesting to learn about college experience from the perspective of people from different countries.


The first picture I have taken at UCSB – Campus Tour 2018



Comments

Popular Posts