My Journey in the U.S.

Hello, my name is Nina! I’m an international student. I was born in Taiwan and raised in Nanjing. My journey has begun in the U.S. since 2015. During my time here, I explore different states, learn about the culture, and enjoy Americanized fast food. I spent two years in Maryland, and two years in Connecticut. Now, I’m in Santa Barbara, California, pursuing my bachelor’s degree in Economics and Accounting. 


#States I've visited in the U.S.

   During the two years in a catholic high school located in Olney, Maryland. I tried joining a sports team, but it was very competitive and intensive. Instead, I decided to focus on academic life and mostly hang out with my Chinese friends. I was shy, and quiet most of the time in school. However, I had a great time meeting new friends and learning a little bit more about American culture and religion. This was my first time learning about western religion, attending a Sunday Mass, and celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday with a local American family. Soon, I decided to transfer to a smaller school where I may have more opportunities and engagement. 

For my junior and senior years of high school, I stayed at a boarding school in Washington, Connecticut. The school has a small student body, and I had more opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities and interact with domestic students. I had the chance to join junior varsity basketball as a guard and try new sports such as tennis, field hockey, and rowing. I enjoyed winning the games with the team, practicing skills after school, and eating team dinner. It was because of these team sports that I had more time to communicate with American students and get to know how typical American high school students spend their time outside of school. Additionally, I enjoyed my time at the homecoming, prom, and other social events. High school experience was awesome and unforgettable, and because of my time here I have a better understanding of American culture and vibes. 

As for college, I decided to explore the west coast rather than staying on the east coast. This is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I get to discover the sunshine, ocean, breeze, and the mountain view. I have become more confident about myself. I care less about my English accent. I am more engaged with the community here. I am happy about what I have accomplished throughout the years. Although I know there are lots of challenges coming on the way, I look forward to creating more memories and continuing my journey in the U.S. Tired of hearing my experience? I’m curious about yours. What is your journey as an international student?



 

Comments

Popular Posts